Teacher Scholarships: Several $400 scholarships awarded
Deadline: March 15
We offer scholarships for teachers who are current members of SAWS and want to continue their Suzuki Teacher Training education by taking short or long-term Suzuki teacher training. Below are the eligibility requirements for teachers:
1. Teacher must be a current member of SAWS with dues paid in full at the time of application.
2. Teacher must fill out and submit the online application answering all questions in sufficient detail.
3. The teacher must have a genuine need for ﬁnancial assistance and explain that need in the form.
4. Teacher training must be provided by registered SAA teacher trainers and/or ofﬁcially recognized SAA institutes.
5. Teachers who have a Suzuki teaching experience of five years or less will receive priority. First time applicant of any experience level will also receive priority consideration.
6. Teacher must submit a video or audio recording of themselves performing a piece that is Book 4 level or beyond. We prefer a piece from the Suzuki repertoire but it is not required*. YouTube video recordings are preferred. You can paste the website link in the online form or you can email your youtube link or mp3 to Mary Beth Cullitan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Recording must be received by March 15. Recipients will be notified by email after the scholarship committee has voted.
*If submitting a non-Suzuki piece please scan and email us a copy of the sheet music (solo instrument part only).
7. Recipients are required to send a confirmation and “Thank you” note to one of the above addresses before funds are distributed.
8. New this year: If you are awarded a $400 scholarship the funds will be available from April of this year through March of the next, for you to use for trainings. Funds will be distributed to you as a reimbursement check after you attend a training. To receive a reimbursement please email us a receipt from your application showing the amount you paid as well as evidence that you attended the training (e.g., certificate of attendance, screen shot of the zoom meeting, screen shot of or SAA profile showing the course in your education history, etc.). All documentation should be sent in one email to our Scholarship Chairwoman, Mary Beth Cullitan, email@example.com with your name and “SAWS Teacher Scholarship” in the subject line. If your training costs less than $400 you can use the remainder to pay for a second or third training any time in the year with the same reimbursement process.
Selection of Scholarship Recipients
Applications for scholarships are evaluated by the SAWS Scholarship Committee. Applicants must have financial need in order to apply. The recordings will be evaluated on the basis of merit.